Monday, October 4, 2010

The Art Institute of Chicago: Gardens.

Walking down Michigan Ave, in one of the more popular areas of the loop you would never think that there would be peacefulness, but leave it up to the Art Institute to bring you that!



The Art Institute is located on South Michigan Ave in between Jackson and Adams. The Institute has two gardens, one on the south side of the building, and one on the north. Unfortunately when I visited only the south side was open due to maintenance on the other side. The Garden opens at 7:30am everyday and closes around dusk, giving visitors or residents available time to get away and relax a little bit!

My first thought when I entered was that it reminded me of a Zen garden. Rather than walking on paths, or grass, you're actually walking through a ground covered in small pebbles. There are also fountains to add to the scenery, which definitely help with relaxation! There is a lot of shade, and lots of seating options so its the great place to take a break while walking down the mile, read a book or just think.

This is one of my favorite places to visit, I never want to leave once I walk through those gates. Enjoy it while the weather is still decent though, because once the snow falls, it's not going to be as spacious! :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got this up and going. Some comments:

    1) the video was a great touch, but I couldn't get any sound? Was it a talky? Or, did silence rule the day?

    2) the only "structure" I can discern is narrative. That is, you move from one thing to the next. Shall we expect that in future posts? I think you'd do far better to create a template (or is one embedded?) and deal with similar issues in each post. Why not ask me about this in class. I think others could benefit from our exchange.

    ReplyDelete